Howdy!My research is generally in the areas of web-scale information management, distributed data-intensive systems, and social computing. Fundamentally, my overall research goal is to develop algorithms and systems to enable efficient and trustworthy information sharing and knowledge discovery over dynamic, heterogeneous, and massive-scale networked information systems.
Upcoming activities I'm affiliated with:
- IEEE Internet Computing, Special Issue on Identity, Privacy, and Deception in Social Networks (deadline: July 1, 2013)
- UMSocial Workshop at CIKM 2013 (deadline: July 12, 2013)
Teaching (full list)
- CSCE 489 :: Introduction to Data Science, Spring 2013
- CSCE 670 :: Information Storage and Retrieval, Spring 2013
Recent Publications (full list)
- Crowdturfers, Campaigns, and Social Media: Tracking and Revealing Crowdsourced Manipulation of Social Media. ICWSM 2013
- Combating Threats to Collective Attention in Social Media: An Evaluation. ICWSM 2013
- Spatio-Temporal Dynamics of Online Memes: A Study of Geo-Tagged Tweets. WWW 2013.
- How Big is the Crowd? Event and Location Based Population Modeling in Social Media. Hypertext 2013 (best paper nominee).
- A Content-Driven Framework for Geo-locating Microblog Users. ACM TIST 2013.
- Content-Based Crowd Retrieval on the Real-Time Web. CIKM 2012.
- Spatial Influence vs. Community Influence: Modeling the Global Spread of Social Media. CIKM 2012.
- Predicting Semantic Annotations on the Real-Time Web. HT 2012.
- Detecting Collective Attention Spam. WebQuality Workshop (WWW), 2012.
- Temporal Dynamics of Communities in Social Bookmarking Systems. Social Network Analysis and Mining (SNAM), 2012.
- Predicting Community Preference of Comments on the Social Web. Web Intelligence and Agent Systems: An International Journal, to appear.
- Toward Traffic-Driven Location-Based Web Search. CIKM 2011.
- Content-Driven Detection of Campaigns in Social Media (short paper). CIKM 2011.
- Exploring Millions of Footprints in Location Sharing Services. ICWSM 2011.
- Seven Months with the Devils: A Long-Term Study of Content Polluters on Twitter. ICWSM 2011.
- Transient Crowd Discovery on the Real-Time Social Web. WSDM 2011.
- Uncovering Social Spammers: Social Honeypots + Machine Learning. SIGIR 2010.
- You Are Where You Tweet: A Content-Based Approach to Geo-locating Twitter Users. CIKM 2010.
Recent Professional Activities (full list)
First ever Coding Gig was held October 13th. Congrats to all the winners!!
- Program committee member: CIKM 2012 SIGIR 2012, ICWSM 2012, WWW 2012, JCDL 2012, PAKDD 2012, CIKM 2011
- Referee: ACM TOIS, ACM TISSEC, ACM TWEB
- Editorial board: GeoJournal (Springer)
- Conference organization: CollaborateCom 2011 (PC co-chair)
- Texas A&M Computer Science Undergraduate Faculty Teaching Award, 2013
- NSF CAREER Award, 2012 [Project Page]
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Award, 2012
- Texas A&M Center for Teaching Excellence Montague-CTE Scholar, 2011-2012
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Young Faculty Award, 2010
- Texas A&M Computer Science Graduate Faculty Teaching Award, 2010
- Google Research Award, 2010
- Texas A&M Computer Science Graduate Faculty Teaching Award, 2009
- Google Research Award, 2008