Jianer Chen's main research is centered on computer algorithms and their applications. His current research projects include exact and parameterized algorithms, computer graphics, computer networks, and computational biology.
In his research in algorithms, Jianer Chen is most interested in efficient and effective algorithms for hard optimization problems and their intrinsic complexity. In computer graphics, he is working on topologically robust graphics modeling systems. In computer networks, his main interest is in routing algorithms and fault tolerance for computer networks and sensor networks. In computational biology, his focus is on biological sequence analysis and biological network analysis.
Jianer Chen's research has been supported by the National Science Foundation.
- Ph.D. Mathematics, Columbia University, 1990
- Ph.D. Computer Science, Courant Institute, New York University, 1987
- Professor, Computer Science, Texas A&M University, 2002-present
- Associate Professor, Computer Science, Texas A&M University, 1996-2002
- Assistant Professor, Computer Science, Texas A&M University, 1990-1996
SELECTED HONORS AND AWARDS
- AFS Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award (university level), Texas A&M University, 2007;
- AFS Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award (college level), Texas A&M University, 2006;
- E.D. Brockett Professorship Award, College of Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2005;
- Eugene E. Webb'43 Faculty Fellow, College of Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2003;
- Graduate Teaching Excellence Awards, Department of Computer Science, Texas A&M University, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006;
- AFS Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award (college level), Texas A&M University, 1998;
- Amoco Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence, Texas A&M University, 1998;
- TEES Select Young Faculty Award, Texas A&M University, 1993;
- Research Initiation Award, The National Science Foundation, 1991;
- Janet Fabri Award, for the Best Ph.D. Dissertation, New York University, 1988;
- First Place, in Province-Wide Mathematics Competition, Hunan, P.R. China, 1980.
- Algorithms and Complexity
- Computer Networks
- Computer Graphics
SELECTED RESEARCH FUNDING
- Topological Graph Theory Revisited: With Applications in Computer Graphics, NSF, 2009-2012
- Studies on New Algorithmic Techniques for Paramterized Comptuation, NSF, 2008-2010
- Secure Aggregation for Large-Scale Wireless Sensor Networks, ARP-THECB, 2006-2008
- Computational Upper and Lower Bounds via Parameterized Complexity, NSF, 2004-2007
- Exact Computational Biology Algorithms with Small Parameters, NSF, 2003-2006
- Parameterized Computation and Applications, NSF, 2000--2003
- Computational Optimization in Collaboration with Mexican Researchers, NSF, 1997--2000
- Applications of Topology to Algorithm Design, Research Initiation Awards, NSF, 1991--1994
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Associate Editor, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 2011 - .
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Computers, 2009 - .
- Editorial Board, Science in China Series F: Information Sciences, 2008 - .
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Exact and Parameterized Computation, Algorithmica, 2008.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Parameterized Computation and Complexity, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 2003.
- Program Committee Chair, The 4th International Workshop on Parameterized and Exact Computation (IWPEC 2009).
- Program Committee Chair, The 6th Annual Conference on Theory and Applications of Models of Computation (TAMC 2009).
- Steering Committee Member, The International Workshop on Parameterized and Exact Computation (IWPEC). 2003 to present
- Member: ACM and SIAM
- Ph. D. Graduates: 17
- M.S. Graduates: 21
- Current Ph.D. Students: 2
- Current M.S. Students: 1
NUMBER OF PUBLICATIONS
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
Computational Complexity and Optimization
- "Iterative expansion and color coding: an improved algorithm for 3D-matching," ACM Transactions on Algorithms 8-1, Article 6, 2012 (preliminary results were reported in Proc. 18th SODA and Proc. 2nd IWPEC) (with Y. Liu, S. Lu, S.-H. Sze, and F. Zhang).
- "Randomized divide-and-conquer: improved path, matching, and packing algorithms," SIAM Journal on Computing 38-6, pp. 2526-2547, 2009 (preliminary version appeared in Proc. 18th SODA) (with J. Kneis, S. Lu, D. Molle, S. Richter, P. Rossmanith, S.-H. Sze, and F. Zhang).
- "Strong computational lower bounds via parameterized complexity," Journal of Computer and System Sciences 72, pp. 1346-1367, 2006 (preliminary version appeared in Proc. 36th STOC) (with X. Huang, I. A.Kanj, and G. Xia).
- "Tight lower bounds for certain parameterized NP-hard problems," Information and Computation 201, pp. 216-231, 2005 (with B. Chor, M. Fellows, X. Huang, D. Juedes, I. Kanj, and G. Xia).
- "A polynomial time approximation scheme for general multiprocessor job scheduling," SIAM Journal on Computing 31, pp. 1-17, 2001 (preliminary version appeared in Proc. 31st STOC) (with A. Miranda).
Graph Theory and Algorithms
- "A fixed-parameter algorithm for the directed feedback vertex set problem," Journal of the ACM 55(5), 2008 (preliminary version appeared in Proc. 40th STOC, pp. 177-186, 2008) (with Y. Liu, S. Lu, B. O'Sullivan, and I. Razgon).
- "Parametric duality and kernelization: lower bounds and upper bounds on kernel size," SIAM Journal on Computing 37, pp. 1077-1106, 2007 (preliminary version appeared in Proc. 22nd STACS) (with H. Fernau, I. Kanj, and G. Xia).
- "Genus characterizes the complexity of certain graph problems: some tight results," Journal of Computer and System Sciences 73, pp. 892-907, 2007 (preliminary version appeard in Proc. 30th ICALP) (with I. Kanj, L., Perkovic, E., Sedgwick, and G. Xia)
- "Constrained minimum vertex cover in bipartite graphs: complexity and parameterized algorithms," Journal of Computer and System Sciences 67, pp. 833-847, 2003 (with I. Kanj).
- "Vertex cover: further observations and further improvements," Journal of Algorithms 41, pp. 280-301, 2001 (with I. Kanj and W. Jia).
- "Cyclic plain-weaving on polygonal mesh surfaces with graph rotation system," ACM Transactions on Graphics 28-3 (SIGGRAPH 2009), 2009, (with E. Akleman, Q. Xing, and J. Gross).
- "Regular mesh construction algorithms using regular handles," Proc. IEEE International Conference on Shape Modeling and Applications (SMI'06), pp. 171-181, 2006 (with E. Akleman).
- "Regular meshes," Proc. of the 2005 ACM Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling (SPM 2005), pp. 213-219, 2005 (with E. Akleman).
- "A minimal and complete set of operators for the development of robust manifold mesh modelers," Graphical Models 65, pp. 286-304, 2003 (with E. Akleman and V. Srinivasan).
- "A new corner cutting scheme with tension and handle-face reconstruction," The International Journal of Shape Modeling 7, pp. 111-128, 2001 (with E. Akleman, F. Eryoldas, and V. Srinivasan).
- "Guaranteeing the 2-manifold property for meshes with doubly linked face list," The International Journal of Shape Modeling 5, pp. 159-177, 2000 (with E. Akleman).
- "Robust planarization of unlocalized wireless sensor networks," Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2008, pp. 1472-1480, 2008 (with F. Zhang and A. Jiang).
- "Separability and topology control of quasi unit disk graphs," Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2007, pp. 2225-2233, 2007 (with A. Jiang, I. Kanj, G. Xia, and F. Zhang).
- "Face tracing based geographic routing in nonplanar wireless networks," Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2007, pp. 2243-2251, 2007 (with F. Zhang, H. Li, A. Jiang, and P. Luo).
- "Probabilistic analysis on mesh network fault tolerance," Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, pp. 100-110, 2006 (with G. Wang, G., C. Lin, T. Wang, and G. Wang).
- "Locally subcube-connected hypercube networks: theoretical analysis and experimental results," The IEEE Transactions on Computers 51, pp. 530-540, 2002 (with G. Wang and S. Chen).